Sunday, November 13, 2011

Z's Bodice

     My friend Tiff gets a hold of me via facebook (hip, right?) and says that her Mother-in-law is getting married and her two little cutie-pie girls are going to be the Flower Girls. Could I please make her some crocheted bodices? You bet I can!  I seem to keep running in to this problem: I can never find an already-available pattern to use for things!  *sigh* Good thing I come from a long line of crafty women! Not being able to find a dang thing on the internet (shocker), I decided to try out a pattern of my own.  I used my daughter as a guinea pig!  :)  The first picture is of Tiff's girls and her Mother-in-Law! The next picture is a picture of my Z in her bodice:



















I know! Hilariously cute, right!?  Ok, in case you were wanting to make a bodice, this will work for any age, any size. It's customizable! Yay!

Yarn: I used one strand each (held together) of Red Heart "Teal" and "Turqua"
Hook: I used an I/9 hook

First step: I took Z's measurements.  For her length, I measured just underneath her armpits to the top of her hip bone. This was 12".  I then added two inches to that for the cuff at the top (which is optional! It's all about what YOU want!).  Then, I took her width measurement, which I also took under her armpits.  I took off a couple inches from this to make sure it would fit nice and snug. Her measurement was 20", so I made the circumference of the bodice 18".

Second step: Get hooking!  I made a chain to correspond with the length measurement (14" for this one). {Add an extra chain for your turning chain (for this and every row), which does not count as a stitch! Just like when you're making a blanket, this chain is purely for heighth.}
     I worked this in single crochet. The bodice is worked flat, in rows, and stitched together later.  I worked in rows until I reached the correct width. Do not fasten off.

Third step: Finishing up.  I single-crocheted down one side, then I folded the piece in half and joined the ends by slip-stitching them together, forming a tube. I single-crocheted around the other end.
     Fasten off.
Front:


















Back:


















Tiff added some super cute tutu's to the bottom of the bodice's I made for her girls!













Cute, huh!  I hope this helped!!  Let me know if you have any questions/problems/additions!
Oh, and feel free to use this pattern for whatever you like, just give me credit, please! I'd do it for you! :)

2 comments: